July 01, 2009

Speaking Her Voice - Q and A


What really goes on in a woman's mind? Is what we think as a woman so different from one another, or are our similarities so glaring but we are afraid of sharing them.

We at the WCC intend to highlight the uniqueness and similarity in women. With the following questions we hope to break down barriers that women inadvertantly put up in order not to expose our vulnerabilities and insecurities; rather we hope to draw on understanding, compassion and utility in our relationships with one another

We want to hear from you!

Check out the following 5 questions and write to us at info@womenscollaborativecircle.org with your answers.


1. What have you learned about yourself in the past year?
2. What do you see when you look in the mirror?
3. What defines you as a woman?
4. What motivates you to get up in the morning?
5. If you could share any piece of wisdom with a woman or girl of a younger generation, what would it be?

*************************************************************************************
WCC featured poet, Alana Joblin Ain answers a few of our thought-provoking collaborative circle questions. Thanks for sharing your voice with us, Alana!

WCC - What have you learned about yourself in the past year?

AJA - This has been a busy year –I just celebrated my first year of marriage, and while I’ve never had trouble expressing myself through writing, I’ve learned that my in-person communication would benefit from the same patience and thoughtfulness that I have when I sit down to write. This requires a lot of work and grace, which is probably the most important thing I’ve learned to cultivate in myself. Oh, and I re-learned something that I’ve always had a hunch about -- I much prefer cobbling together freelance / flexible work over spending my days in an office – I need a window, fresh air, natural light.

WCC - What motivates you to get up in the morning?

AJA - I like being alive. I really do. Some days are harder than others. And sensitive people are prone to feel the sadness as deeply as the joy. Overall, though, I’m filled with an enormous sense of gratitude. Today I get to write in the morning, and then head over to Hunter to teach my students. I live in NYC where you have so many small but meaningful interactions. November, the night of the election returns, I was riding the subway home from work, and everyone was tense and weary – people just wanted to get back to see the results. Then this kid with a busted-up-duct-taped guitar comes on the train and plays “Here Comes the Sun.” He had an incredible voice. Everyone was smiling and several people teared up. And that night turned out pretty great. Things like that happen in this city, and it’s exciting not to know who you’ll encounter each day. I’m also motivated by the people I do know I’ll encounter: My husband, my family, my friends.

WCC - If you could share any piece of wisdom with a woman or girl of a younger generation, what would it be?

AJA - I was a very shy girl, and there are parts of that shyness that I still struggle to overcome as a woman. My hope for a younger generation of women and girls is community, and finding the comfort and strength to communicate openly with other women about their fears, concerns, desires – so that they feel empowered. This site and organization are so crucial to that, and I’m honored to be a part of it. In terms of imparting wisdom, I’d say spend less time worrying what others think, of being judged, or feeling guilty. Find whatever way is most comfortable to express yourself; never be afraid to articulate your voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Voice